Sunday, January 27, 2013

Week 7: There are No Shortcuts


When we aspire to do big things, we are often reminded that there are no shortcuts to achieve them. This is something I am constantly reminded of as a member of the Dana Farber Marathon Challenge Team. There are no short cuts to finding a cure for cancer. It requires the work of many scientists and researchers which requires continued funding and support for such work. This is why we run.We are doing our part to raise funds to support a world without cancer.  There are no short cuts when preparing to run a marathon. Our body only becomes ready to run a 26.2 after a consistent commitment to logging many miles. This week our commitment was tested. Many days this week were close to zero degrees.We may have made adjustments to our training but we continued to log the miles.

Fundraising Update
 We continue to move towards our goal of $10,000. This week there is $5787.45 posted to my fundraising page which is $75 dollars more than last week and I have also sent in checks that total an additional $490. This will bring us to a total of $6,277.45. This means we are $3,722.55 away from our goal with 11 weeks to go. I am so grateful to so many of you who have once again contributed so generously. I am also confident that with continued support we will continue to make progress each week and that by April 15, 2013 we will reach our goal. If you have not had a chance to make a donation, please consider doing so this week to help us keep moving towards our goal. I cannot do it without you.

There Are No Shortcuts
 This week temperatures made it challenging to run outside. In fact, our Dana Farber Team long run was cancelled due to the extremely cold temperatures and the wind chill factor. I have come to realize while I may be able to make adjustments to my weekly runs, the long run for me is the most important. It is not only logging the miles, it is also maintaining my confidence that I can go that far as well as continuing to develop my ability to endure the inevitable wall that I hit when running longer distances. It is not simply training our body to be able to physically endure the distance; it is also training our mind to stay with it even when we think we cannot. So when this weeks run was cancelled, I made arrangements with my friend, teammate and running buddy, Steve. We decided to meet at the gym and face 14 miles on the treadmill (otherwise known as the dread mill) together. Not only would this be challenging to run 14 miles, but for anyone that runs on a treadmill, you know how mentally challenging this can be.

Steve and I ran on treadmills right next to each other. I cannot begin to express how much this helped. I guess there is truth to the “misery loves company” or actually in the spirit of last weeks post about attitude, I think I will recognize the power of team that I discussed in week 5. It is amazing how each week’s lessons seem to weave together. I will not pretend this weeks run was easy. It was anything but easy. At times I found myself questioning how I could expect to run a marathon when logging 14 miles felt so difficult. I then would remind myself that so much of marathon training and actually completing a marathon is learning to be mentally strong. So, I really reframed this weeks run. It was not about the miles, but about enduring wanting to stop and resisting the wall. To be honest, I was more bored than tired. Running on a treadmill for 2 hours and 16 minutes is a long time without a change of scenery. Again, I am so grateful for Steve because in the midst of my boredom I never felt along and I never forgot why I am running. I am running to support Dana Farber’s Ultimate Goal: A World without Cancer. When we aspire for big things, there are no short cuts. One mile and one dollar at a time we are making a difference. Will you help bring us that one step closer? Please remember that no donation is too small. Collectively we become a powerful force when we commit to do what we can to make a difference.

With Gratitude,

Kerry D

No comments:

Post a Comment