Sunday, January 20, 2013

Week 6: Attitude is Everything


Life often feels like a bumpy ride. This is certainly what this training season has been so far. I have arrived at week five with such mixed emotions. I am so honored to be part of such an amazing team and such an important effort-we are running to support a world without cancer. Yet, like many who have had cold or the flu this winter, I am growing tired of the lingering cough and the many challenges that brings with my asthma. Of course this is minor in comparison to the many challenges faced by those for whom many of us run and I will never loose sight of that perspective.

Fundraising Update
I am happy to report that while fundraising has been slow for me in comparison to last year, with the generous support of many family, friends, and co-workers, I am currently at $5,712.45. This is more than halfway towards my goal of $10,000. I thank those of you who have already donated. I recognize that this is the second year I am asking for your support. However, I am sure if you look around at people in your own life you will see that we have many miles and many dollars to go to supporting a world without cancer. I have continued my commitment to Dana Farber and to logging miles and I hope you will continue to show your support in any way you can. Please remember that any amount is appreciated. Collectively our donations add up and support the amazing research that is taking place at Dana Farber. My goal is to continue to see the dollars increase each week. Perhaps you will be one that helps me reach my fundraising goal this week?

Choose your attitude
We cannot always choose our situation, but often we do have the power to choose our attitude which influences how we experience it. This is often incredibly challenging. I have been accused of being a “positive Patty” or a “snow globe” which I actually accept with great pride. However, I must admit that while I do tend to see the positive this requires great effort which others may not always see. I do not always arrive at the positive immediately. In fact, I am one who embraces the struggle to get there. This week was yet another example of being challenged to “walk my own talk.” You see, I am often one to tell others that struggle is good. It is what makes us stronger. In fact, conceptually, I do not believe that we achieve our potential unless we are willing to engage in struggle. Without struggle we only experience what we can already do, not the possibility of what we potentially can do. While these words make sense to me, I am reminded this week that doing something is harder than believing in the idea of something.

For those that are close to me you may know that I have been struggling a lot with my asthma this season. It began in early December with bronchitis and has lingered now for almost 7 weeks. I have been through two rounds of antibiotics and last week started a steroid treatment. Needless to say, logging the miles has not been easy. I have tried really hard to balance taking care of myself with also logging the miles that I need to stay on track. I am driven by the importance of why we are running: to support cancer research and a world without cancer. I have tried to embrace the struggle. I took most of this week off from running to give my body some rest and to let the steroids do their trick. In the past this has been what has worked for me. It is a quick 6 day treatment.

Yesterday, I had hoped to be able to do 14-15 miles for my weekly long run. Running with the team always adds such perspective and the company helps to pass the time. I actually felt ok for most of the run. Again, it was not an easy run but given all that I have been dealing with my expectations did not include an “easy 14-15” miles. However, I wanted to get it done. I was filled with gratitude to have such amazing teammates to run with on a chilly Saturday. Our training runs typically consist of an out and back route. This allows for water stops and for teammates to choose a variety of distances. When we arrived at the second water stop we decided that we would run out to the last one instead of turning around half-way to make it the 15 miles we had planned. After all, what was an extra mile?

On our way back I started to struggle quite a bit and was experiencing terrible cramping and discomfort in my legs in particular my calf muscles. This sometimes happens if ones salt balance is not right; however I sometimes get tired legs but never have issues with cramping like this. When we arrived at the last water stop which was at mile 12.7, I talked to our coach about it briefly. He always asks such great questions. He asked something like “what is different this week?” I had explained that as a result of the asthma I had started a round of steroids. He then explained that he had a friend who had a similar issue and he ended up tearing his calf muscle and suggested that I not push it. This was not something I wanted risk. There are times to push through and there are times to heed the advice of others. It was not easy for me to cut out on the last leg of the training run. In fact, I was quite disappointed. I am a push through kind of person. However, I worked at reframing it realized that I had run just about 13 miles in spite of the difficulties I have had with my asthma. This is actually pretty good.

So, at mile 12.7 I hopped in the car with our coach, Jack Fultz who brought me back to the Longfellow Club. He is such an amazing coach and for those who do not know, he won the Boston Marathon in 1976.  I was appreciative of the ride, and although I knew I was making a smart decision, it was still not easy. I was reminded at how important attitude is when later in the day I received a text message from a teammate and a old high school friend with whom I had been running with earlier and she said, “you added another highlight to your long list: getting personally chauffeured by a Boston Marathon winner.” I smiled, and thought she is absolutely right. Today was a good day. Thank you to Elaine for reminding me how very important it is to choose our attitude. Now on to week 6!

With Gratitude,
Kerry

No comments:

Post a Comment