Sunday, March 25, 2012

Week 15: Don't Stop Believing

Week 15 of training is done. I cannot believe that we are now only three weeks away from the Boston Marathon. Over the last 15 weeks I have logged 429 training miles and we have raised $13, 961 with $13,771 posted to my fundraising page. There are still some checks that have not been posted so hopefully they will be reflected on my site soon. It is really amazing how far we have come in just 15 weeks. I am so filled with gratitude for all the family, friends and supporters who have really stepped up to support such an important effort-a world without cancer. Our collective success is only possible because of your support. If you have not had a chance to donate, there is still time. Each donation no matter how big or small brings us a step closer to a world without cancer. Let’s not only hope to see it as possible, let’s strive to see it as probable.  I would actually love to see us hit the $15,000 mark by marathon Monday. If you haven’t already figured it out, I love to push the capacity of what I think is possible. Will you continue to push with me?

Our Final Team Run
Yesterday I completed our final team training run on the Boston Marathon course. We ran 22 miles which was the longest distance that we run with the exception of the marathon on April 16th. It was a particularly special run for the Dana Farber Marathon Challenge Team and for me personally. Our run yesterday was in honor of a very special boy-Matty Dubuc, whose 5 year angelversary is today-March 25th. The Dubuc Family has a very special place in my heart and in many ways helped motivate me to want to run for the Dana Farber Marathon Challenge Team as a way to honor the memory of my dear friend Matt’s nephew Josh.  Yesterday the Dubuc family honored Matty by volunteering at one of our water stops which they have done on many of our weekend runs. I wore my “Team Matty” shirt with pride. As we approached the water stop that was at 6 and also 16 we were greeted by the Dubuc Family and other Team Matty friends (Berta and Steve-also former DFMC runners) with a huge picture of Matty with blue balloons and “Don’t Stop Believing” by Journey was blaring on the speakers they brought. Here is the team that greeted us.

Team Matty (Sandy, Berta, Zach, Matty, Chris, Steve and Johnny taking the picture)
In week 13 I wrote about seeking inspiration. Well, the Dubuc Family is probably one of the most inspirational families and I am so blessed to know and learn from them. For many who know them, it is hard to even imagine the magnitude of their experience, their pain, their grief, and the loss that lingers with the empty space at their table, in family photos and in memories in the making. However, I am sure I am not alone, when I say that it is hard to think of the Dubuc Family and not immediately hear the song “Don’t Stop Believing” whether it is on the radio or not. Somehow in the midst of their enduring grief, they are filled with such a deep commitment to honoring Matty and each other by making the world a better place, a place without cancer. There are not words to describe the awe I experience when I think of the Dubuc Family and I thought of them a lot yesterday over the course of 22 miles. I will try to find words to express my awe inspired gratitude for such an amazing family.

First and foremost, the Dubuc Family teaches me that a better world and one without cancer is all of our responsibility and there are many ways you can help make this a reality. Did you know that donating one pint of blood can help up to 4 children? Well, I think it is safe to say that the entire UMass Lowell community and anyone that knows the Dubuc Family knows this because they host blood drives for Children’s Hospital throughout the year. So if money is tight, you can donate blood. Just be sure to take your vitamins because one of the top reasons many of us are turned away is low iron. If you cannot donate blood and cash is tight, you can also volunteer for organizations that support a world without cancer. In fact, Dana Farber is looking for volunteers for marathon weekend. If you are interested here is the link to the Dana Farber Marathon Challenge website http://www.kintera.org/htmlcontent.asp?cid=116910.

The Dubuc Family also teaches me the importance of honoring those we have loved and lost. We do this through events but also in the way in which we live our lives. It is by recognizing what really matters in life and while there may be times that we need to sweat the small stuff, most often we do not. Family is what matters.  If you want to follow their story check out the caringbridge website that Sandy keeps up at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/matty.

In many ways I have the Dubuc Family, and in particular Sandy, to thank for bringing me to Dana Farber. I have mentioned that this year’s marathon falls on the anniversary of my dear friend Matt’s nephew for whom I am running. Last year, I so wanted to honor his memory and while I was thinking about the marathon, it seemed like this enormous thing to do.  Last spring Sandy and I ran together and not only did I get to know an amazing and inspiring woman, I also had the privilege of hearing stories about her three amazing boys. All one needs to do is talk to a Dubuc and that which seems impossible suddenly becomes within reach. Needless to say, by early September I was a member of the Dana Farber Marathon Challenge 2012 Team committed to raising funds for such an important effort.

Honoring a Special Boy-Matty
As the Dubuc Family spends this weekend honoring Matty, Sandy asked for stories from people who knew Matty or stories of Matty that people found inspiring or that had touched their lives. The first story that came to my mind was a story that Sandy shared. Now, I recognize in the retelling I may have missed details but the meaning that I took from the story is what is important. I remember walking into work one day. Matty had just had surgery to have his arm amputated. I did not know Sandy all that well at the time, however I asked how Matty was doing. Again, I don’t remember all the details, but the story focused on Matty’s positive attitude. Sandy explained that while he had just lost his arm, his response was “I can still ride my bike one handed.”
Matty's picture that greeted us at the water stop and the speakers that played
Don't Stop Believing
 It was this spirit and the spirit of the Dubuc Family that really carried me through my run yesterday. When I felt tired, I thought of their relentless spirit and it really carried me over the hills. I was so aware that our running to support cancer research is incredibly important and it is so much more than a worthy cause or organization. We are running for real families whose lives are so impacted by such a devastating disease.  However, I must be honest as I felt inspired by their strength; I also became so aware that as tired as I felt I would be able to rest when I was done. My feet hurt, but the hurt would go away. I kept thinking that for the Dubuc family and my friend Matt’s family, the hurt may change over the years, but it does not go away. So while yesterday’s run honored a very special boy named Matty Dubuc (and the strength of his family), it was in honoring his memory that I was reminded how incredibly important our efforts are in supporting Dana Farber’s ultimate Goal- A world without cancer. Thank you to everyone who continues to support such important work and a very special thank you this week to the Dubuc Family-Sandy, Johnny, Christopher, Matty and Zachary- you are truly an amazing family. I am so blessed to know you! I hope that you continue to experience Matty’s presence in all you do! You are an inspiration to us all and you have taught me the power in the words "Don't Stop Believing."

With Gratitude,

Kerry D


No comments:

Post a Comment