Saturday, April 6, 2013

Week 16: Taper Time & Overcoming Obstacles

We are now just 10 days away from the Boston Marathon. For those who may not be familiar with marathon training, the few weeks before the marathon is know as taper time. This is when the weekly mileage drastically decreases and when the next long run will be race day. For us, it is April 15, 2013. It is also a time when many start to panic when last minute injuries seem to present themselves. For many of my DFMC teammates this has been a challenging training season. However, we are all focused on why we run- to support cancer research and a world without cancer. That makes the impossible seem possible

Fundraising Update
I am pleased to report that we surpassed my initial goal of $10,000. However, those that know me also know that I like to under promise and over deliver. I quickly changed my goal to $13,100 which is the next pacesetter level for DFMC fundraising. I recognize that my new goal is still $2,000 less than last year. However, I am deeply committed to reaching the $13,100 by next Friday which will also be my 40th birthday. I thank everyone who has contributed and offered support and encouragement. This means the world to me and makes both the training and fundraising possible. I have said it before and I will say it again, I would not be able to do this without the support of so many friends, family and coworkers. Together we are making great strides towards a world without cancer.

Overcoming Obstacles

As I watch the Facebook posts of my fellow DFMC teammates, I am so aware that this training season has not been easy. However, I continue to be inspired by the collective attitude that these obstacles are not roadblocks but as opportunities to get stronger and to further demonstrate our commitment to the work at Dana Farber. Perhaps it is because so many members of our team have been personally touched by cancer or run for those who have that make most obstacles we face seem small in light of why we run. For example, many of my teammates have found themselves injured. Rather than giving up many have spent taper time making may trips to the physical therapist in order to get to the starting line as ready as they can be. Often accompanied with a post about an injury/obstacle is the recognition of “we will do whatever it takes because what we do is in support of cancer research.” The purpose behind what we are doing fuels a special sort of strength.

After the last long run (22 miles) on March 23rd, I too found myself facing a bit of a challenge. I really do not like to complain to much, but what started out as just a sore shin evolved into reason to be concerned when after a few days I still had great difficulty walking and was experiencing pretty constant pain. It was good that this was taper time; however I did not have too much time to deal with last minute injuries. I did what I normally do. I iced and I hoped it would just go away. You see I have quite a bit of hardware (8 screws, 1 pin and a plate) in my ankle from a rugby injury (1999) so having pain in my ankle and shin after running is not out of the ordinary.   I found some old X-rays and thought it would be neat to include pictures of them.

 After five days I finally went to have it checked. My biggest fear was a possible stress fracture. I started to imagine how I might tape my shin. I did not want to even entertain the idea of not running. The good news is that it is not a stress fracture. I am very fortunate to have an amazing doctor who was able to see me within a few hours notice and made time between surgeries to check it out. He then scheduled an MRI the next day. We were not messing around. Long story short, I have tendonitis so while it may give me some grief, I will be arriving in Hopkinton on April 15th to make the trek to Boston with my teammates with one goal in mind: getting to the finish line to support a world without cancer. It does not have to be pretty (although I will be sure to smile for the cameras because the pictures long outlast the feeling in any particular moment). It will most likely hurt.Running that far hurts anyway. However, my teammates and I recognize there is no ache or pain that can ever compare to the ache and pain of watching someone face cancer.  So when we line up in Hopkinton, some of us perhaps a bit less than 100%, we will be ready to give it 150% of all we have. We run in spite of the obstacles that present themselves and that is what makes us stronger in spirit. We run for a world without cancer and there is nothing more motivating and inspiring that that.

With Gratitude,

Kerry D

No comments:

Post a Comment